Open WhatsApp and create a group with all the people that want to contribute to the booklet.
Let everyone know what this group is about and who the booklet is for. You can use our example:
Visit ToGather each day to receive a new topic or activity for your group.
We've got lots of topics and activities to keep you and your group busy, or you can create your own. Just share them in your WhatsApp group as a message or photo and encourage the others to respond.
TIP: make it easy to find your own topics in the end by starting the message with the words “today’s topic is...”
Everyone can share their responses in the WhatsApp group.
Repeat these steps and select later on which messages go in the booklet.
Assembling the booklet
To turn your WhatsApp group chat into a booklet follow these simple steps:
1. Export the group chat (including media) and save it on your device or cloud storage (e.g. Google Drive, iCloud or Dropbox).
TIP: We recommend to do this weekly, or even daily, so WhatsApp can export all your messages and so you have something to share more often.
TIP: Anyone from the WhatsApp group can do this, so ask for help if you are having difficulties.
2. Visit the ToGather 'Assemble Booklet' page and upload your exported group chat. (all of the media and the `chat.txt` file that you saved in the previous step)
TIP: Don’t worry, your personal messages and media files are not actually being uploaded anywhere. Everything is happening locally on your device – we don’t collect any personal data. This ensures your conversations stay private and you have full control over who you want to share your booklet with.
3. Personalise the booklet by adding your loved one's name, and a title to the front cover.
4. Check the names of all the contributors. We will show you a list of the names we found in your group. You can edit the names you'll see in the booklet (e.g first names only).
5. Review the topics we found in the group chat. If there are topics missing you can add them from your messages or type them in. If there are ones that have already been included in previous diaries, simply delete them.
6. For each topic you will be asked to select which responses you want to add to the booklet for that day.
TIP: Don’t worry if there is a day you didn’t submit anything, everyone deserves a rest, we will skip over those days and the dates will keep counting on.
7. When you have done this for each day you want in the booklet, click the 'finish' button. All of your messages will be placed in a pre-designed template and your booklet will be ready for you to download. You can print and/or forward it to share the booklet with your family, friends and loved ones.